Grading Permits


The landowner upon whose property will undergo a land disturbance activity is ultimately responsible for illicit discharges into the municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4) and upon neighboring properties.

When a grading permit is required per section 72-61, a grading permit shall be obtained at the Brookings City engineer's office by either the landowner or the landowner's contractor or representative. The permittee listed on the grading permit application (PDF) shall be responsible for all requirements of the permit, up to and including final stabilization of the disturbed area. The permittee shall be designated as the responsible party.


For more information about grading permits, please view the Code of Ordinances Grading and Construction Activities.