The City of Brookings annually holds Spring Cleanup for residents. This program allows residents to place their rubbish, debris and branches in front of their home during a designated time period. This program is for people residing within the city limits. This program is not available to commercial haulers. The City of Brookings Public Works Department crews work together to pick up the material set on the boulevards.
All items must be placed at the boulevard. There is no alley pickup. Please make sure everything is on the boulevard to help reduce any damage from the use of heavy equipment.
2023 Spring Cleanup Dates
- Monday, April 10: Residents can start placing their items on the curb.
- Sunday, April 16: All items, including tree branches, must be placed on curbs.
- Monday, April 17: City crews will begin the curbside pickup. Crews will canvass the city one time only.
Free Landfill Dumping
From April 10 through April 29, 2023, Brookings city residents may dump for free at the Landfill. Residents are encouraged to take advantage of the free dumping by hauling as much of their smaller items to the Landfill as possible. This will allow crews to focus on faster removal of the remaining large items. The City asks residents to remember all loads must be covered, or a $10.00 fine will be assessed.
The City of Brookings Regional Landfill is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m.
Items that Must Be Hauled to the Landfill
The City of Brookings landfill regulations and recycling policies require items placed on the curb to be sorted into piles of like materials. For proper disposal, create 3 separate piles: Metals, branches, and other bulky/cleanup items. Your cooperation is critical to continue this project.
Items that Must Be Hauled to the Landfill
The following items will not be picked up from the curb:
- Household refuse. (Place in green garbage cart.)
- Cardboard. (Place in blue recycling cart.)
- Grass/leaves. (Place in brown yard waste cart, or haul to the Landfill for free.)
- Piles of mixed materials not sorted by type.
- Remodeling material/concrete
- Tires. (A fee will be assessed based on size of tires.)
- Refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, and any other items containing Freon. (A fee will be assessed.)
Items NOT Accepted
- Paint, batteries, waste oil, chemicals will not be accepted.
Tree trunks and branches must not be more than 12 inches in diameter and 6 feet long. They must be placed lengthwise on the boulevard in the same direction as the gutter line. The City of Brookings will not enter the residential property to pick them up.
2023 Spring Cleanup Flyer: Coming soon!
Households must follow the Spring Cleanup guidelines, or their materials will not be picked up.
Residents are encouraged to listen to the radio to keep up with what section of town crews are in.
Spring Cleanup Curbside Pickup Schedule
- Section 1: Railroad tracks to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to 16th Avenue
- Section 2: Front Street to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to Western Avenue
- Section 3: 6th Street to 11th Street and from Medary Avenue to Western Avenue
- Section 4: 6th Street to 8th Street east of Medary Avenue
- Section 5: Railroad Tracks to 6th Street from 16th Avenue to 22nd Avenue
- Section 6: South of Railroad Tracks from Medary Avenue South to 22nd Avenue South
- Section 7: Railroad Tracks south to City limits from Medary Avenue South to City limits
REAL-TIME TRACKER: Follow the new Spring Cleanup Real-Time Tracker to see block-by-block real-time updates showing which sections have been completed.
Recycling and Separation of Items
The City of Brookings Landfill regulations and recycling policies require sorting of items placed on the curb. Your cooperation is critical to continue this project. Below is a list of sorting requirements and items not accepted:
- Mixed piles cannot and will not be picked up (please separate 1. branches, 2. metal, 3. and other items)
- Household refuse (place in green cart)
- Yard waste, grass and leaves will not be picked up (place in yard waste cart or haul to landfill free)
- No total tree removal
- No cardboard boxes or other recyclable items (put with recycling pickup)
- Animal waste will not be picked up
- Remodeling material will not be picked up
- Concrete will not be picked up
- Tires will not be picked up (haul to landfill for a fee)
- Waste oil, chemicals and hazardous waste will not be picked up
- Items containing Freon (haul to landfill for a fee)
- Paint will not be picked up
- No batteries
- I have left-over/old paint. How should I dispose of it?
Paint should be dried out (do not throw away wet paint) and disposed of with your garbage.
- What is the best way to dry out paint before disposal?
- The paint can be put on cardboard to dry. Once dried dispose of the cardboard.
- Use kitty litter or floor dry
- Use paint hardener (available at local hardware supply stores)
- I would prefer to donate the paint for re-use. Where can I do so?
- New/Full/Unused paint may be donated to The Brookings Habitat Restore
- Ask neighbors, friends, family members etc. if they have a use for the paint.