- Community Development
- Building Services
Building Services & Permits
Building permits are issued for all residential and commercial projects within city limits and on nonagricultural land in the joint jurisdictional area.
All permit forms and submission requirements must be completed to apply.
(All items below must be completed/submitted)
The building permit must be issued before footings are poured. Failure to get a permit on time will result in an investigation fee of twice the permit fee.
- All work shall be in conformance with the requirements of the International Building Code.
- Driveways, approaches, public sidewalks, sidewalk ramps and curb cuts are controlled by the City engineer’s office. A permit is required before any new installations or any changes are made.
- For building additions, decks and garages, your title insurance (mortgage) drawing is very helpful in locating your project on the lot.
- Zoning requirements must be met, including the proper use of the property, adequate yard size, setbacks, parking requirements, etc. Any deviation from these requirements needs the approval of the Board of Adjustment.
Inspections are required for residential and commercial projects.
- All electrical work must be done in conformance with the National Electric Code. It may be installed by the owner in an owner-occupied structure or by an electrician licensed by the state and the City. All work shall be inspected by a state electrical inspector. Contact the South Dakota Electrical Commission for a permit.
- All plumbing must be done in conformance with the Uniform Plumbing Code. It may be installed by the owner in an owner occupied structure or by a plumber licensed by the state and the City. All work shall be inspected by a state plumbing inspector. Contact the South Dakota Plumbing Commission for your permit.
Site & Floor Plans
Submit all listed with application.
- A scaled drawing showing where the proposed structure is to be located on the lot with dimensions of setbacks from all property lines (front, sides and rear) is required. The distances must be perpendicular from the property line to the closest point of the structure. The direction of drainage on the lot is needed. Site elevations in relation to structure elevations and the driveway, access drive, sidewalk and ramp locations and dimensions must be shown.
- A scaled drawing naming the rooms and dimensions for each floor, including the size and location of the deck is required. The drawing must also show the square footage of finished and unfinished areas on each floor.
Submit all listed with application.
- A scaled drawing showing the four exterior views of the structure, including the proposed finish grade line around the structure and the bottom of the footing line, is required.
- A scaled detailed drawing showing sizes and materials of the typical exterior wall from footing to shingles is needed. A list of joists, beams and bearing wall sizes and spacings must be included. The drawing must also show the ceiling and wall insulation for type and R-value.
EXAMPLE: View a typical wall section example (PDF) for more information.
Submit with application.
- A list of rescue windows and locations and size of the clear opening (when window is in a fully open position) with dimensions and square feet is required.
Make sure the plans are correct before submitting them. The drawings must show the correct legal description and the location of all smoke detectors. Stair details showing the rise, run and headroom must be provided. A list of the following must be included:
- Name of the owner, general contractor, electrician, plumber and mechanical contractor
- Type and size of air conditioning and heating
- Voltage and amp service
The building permit must be issued before pouring footings. Don’t forget to call (605) 692-6629 for a footing inspection. Failure to get a permit on time may result in an investigation fee of double the permit fee.
Download building permit forms and submit an application.
Plan Review Timeline
Please allow one week for the plan review. For zoning issues, please contact the Board of Adjustment.