Community Economic Development Master Plan
The City of Brookings Community Economic Development Master Plan was created over a 10-month period during 2022 in collaboration with community partners, businesses, leaders, and Resonance. Resonance is a consulting firm that helps communities understand market trends; assess strengths, challenges, and opportunities; and plan for the future.
The City selected Resonance to help develop the master plan after a competitive Request for Proposals (RFP) process.
The plan development process included community and business surveys, benchmarking and industry cluster analysis, steering committee meetings, stakeholder discussions, and a community workshop.
The Council voted unanimously to approve the plan at its January 24, 2023, meeting. The City Council will use the master plan as a resource to prioritize funding allocations to help achieve the goals outlined in the plan.
The executive summary of the plan states: “Now is the time for Brookings to adopt a modern economic development strategy that harnesses the City’s assets and prioritizes resources to achieve productive and sustainable growth.” Click the link above to read the full plan.
Seven Goals of Brookings’ Community Economic Development Master Plan:
- Investment for future prosperity. We will attract investment to grow Brookings’ economy and create generational prosperity.
- South Dakota-grown and scaled. We will build Brookings into the premier entrepreneurial community in America’s Heartland.
- Prairie innovation. We will bring passionate innovators, academics, and investors together to create an inclusive innovation hub.
- Skills for tomorrow. We will invest in the diverse talent that will fuel the future of our community.
- “Anything but ordinary.” We will promote and celebrate Brookings as an extraordinary destination for families, professionals, students, and visitors of all walks.
- Intentional, authentic storytelling. We will promote Brookings’ story.
- Effective implementation. We will build an economic development ecosystem that effectively supports the implementation of this strategy.