The Brookings Committee for People who have Disabilities and Brookings NDEAM (National Disability Employment Awareness Month) Committee are seeking local nominations for the 2013 Governor’s Awards. The Governor’s Award is a program that recognizes individuals and employers for their contributions to the rehabilitation and employment of persons with disabilities in South Dakota.
• OUTSTANDING EMPLOYEE WITH A DISABILITY: This award is given to an employee with a disability in recognition of outstanding achievements in competitive employment by overcoming a disability as well as providing inspiration for other individuals with disabilities (includes individuals who are self-employed).
• OUTSTANDING CITIZEN WITH A DISABILITY: This award is given to an individual with a disability in recognition of outstanding achievements in overcoming a disability and for the promotion of independent living and employment opportunities for other individuals with disabilities.
• OUTSTANDING EMPLOYER: These awards are offered for outstanding achievement in improving employment opportunities for persons with disabilities: small private employer (non-government); large private employer (non-government); or public employer (local, county, state or federal governmental entity, school district, university) of any size.
• DISTINGUISHED SERVICE: This award is given to an individual or organization (public or private) in recognition of extraordinary contributions to advancing the empowerment and employment of people with disabilities. Individual or organization should have contributions spanning 10 or more years.
• OUTSTANDING TRANSITION SERVICES: This award is given to an individual or organization (public or private) in recognition of extraordinary contributions to providing and developing a transition program to assist students with disabilities as they transition from school to the adult system. The individual or organization should have contributions spanning five or more years.
To obtain a nomination form click on the link below or contact City Hall, City Clerk’s Office, at (605) 692-6281 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to submit completed nominations is September 28, 2012.
Local nominees will be recognized at the October 23, 2012 Brookings City Council meeting. Nominations will then be submitted to the Board of Vocational Rehabilitation for the statewide competition for the Governor’s Awards. Final selection for these awards will be made by the Board in March 2013.
For more information, please contact Shari Thornes, (605) 697-8641.