COVID-19: Brookings County
UPDATED: February 17, 2021
The South Dakota Department of Health COVID-19 page is updated daily and has confirmed:
- Total Cases: 3,542
- Recovered Individuals: 3,416
- Active Cases: 91
- Spread Category: Substantial
COVID-19: Brookings Thresholds
UPDATED: February 11, 2021
- Is the epidemic controlled? No. Rt was above 1.0 for 2 of the last 14 days. Additionally, spread remains substantial.
- Is the health system able to cope with a resurgence of COVID-19 cases that may arise after adapting some measures? Based on current census, Brookings Health System feels they can handle the lowest of the anticipated numbers (n = 2). However, staffing will be challenged, thereby limiting the ability to sustain care for the long-term, with the highest anticipated number (n = 8).
- Is the public health surveillance system able to detect and manage the cases and their contacts, and identify a resurgence of cases in Brookings?
a. Mitigation Level: Yes, according to BHS data (includes sentinel testing, multiple tests on same person and possibly nonresidents of Brookings County) and state data using tests done as denominator (not unique people tested).
b. Suppression Level: No, test positivity is 4%-21%, which is above the 3% test positivity needed for suppression.
c. Approximate Time to Receive Test Results: 1 to 2 days
DOWNLOAD BROOKINGS THRESHOLDS OUTLINE AND CURRENT DATA PDF HERE >
COVID-19: Brookings Epidemiology Weekly Video
UPDATED: February 9, 2021
Ask An Epidemiologist! Have a suggestion for a topic or a question you would like answered? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19: Local, Regional, and National Weekly Summary
UPDATED: February 15, 2021
Brookings County (substantial spread is 34+ new cases per week)
- 3,542 cases: 47 this week vs. 55 in previous week
- 91 active cases
- Test positivity among people tested (17%) & among tests done (3%); percent test positivity based on PCR tests only (DOH dashboard = 4%)
- Largest increase in cases this past week was among individuals aged less than 20 years (4%, total of 21 cases)
- 122 ever hospitalized: 1 new admission this week vs. 2 in previous week
- 35 total deaths – 0 this week vs. 0 death in previous week
- 10.2% of Brookings residents have received 1+ vaccines and 4.7% are fully vaccinated
- Cumulative cases and cases over the last week per 100,000 population is given for counties with the 10 most populous cities (three slides)
- Brookings County mobility data has been updated through 2/12/21
South Dakota (substantial spread is 864+ new cases per week)
- 109,685 cases: 1,055 this week vs. 941 in previous week
- 2,072 active cases
- 21% of cases this past week were among individuals aged 60+ years
- Test positivity among people tested (21%) & among tests done (3%); percent test positivity based on PCR tests only (DOH dashboard = 7%)
- 6,466 ever hospitalized: 69 admissions this week vs. 76 in previous week
- 94 people currently hospitalized (1a in ICU)
- 1,844 deaths: 29 this week vs. 33 in previous week
- 15.6% of South Dakotans have received 1+ vaccines and 7.2% are fully vaccinated
- 12.% of South Dakotans have tested positive (10.2% of Brookings County residents): highest age group is 20-29% (16.9% for SD & 14.0% for Brookings)
- Overall, 5.8% of South Dakotans who have tested positive have been hospitalized ranging from 0.9% in <20 year olds to 27.4% in 80+ year olds.
- Overall case fatality rate (percent of people testing positive for COVID who die) is 1.7% and ranges from less than 1% in individuals less than 60 years of age and increases to 20.5% in individuals aged 80+ years
- Cumulative number of cases for K-12 and higher education: 8,105 & 3,704 cases in K-12 students & staff and 2,975 & 508 cases in higher ed students & staff
- Deaths over time and from various causes (three slides) are provided, but were not updated in the last two weeks.
- South Dakota mobility data has been updated through 2/12/21
- 28.3 million cases: 484,006 new cases this week vs. 746,757 million in previous week
- 499,991 total deaths: 16,791 deaths this week vs. 21,270 in previous wee
- 110.0 million cases: 2.18 million cases this week vs. 2.95 million in previous week
- 2.42 million deaths: 64,913 deaths this week vs. 86,758 in previous week
COVID-19: Rankings (Top 10 Most Populous South Dakota Counties)
UPDATED: February 14, 2021
DOWNLOAD RANKINGS CURRENT DATA PDF HERE >
COVID-19: Weekly Data
UPDATED: February 17, 2021
Source: Bonny Specker, Ph. D., South Dakota State University, Division of Research and Economic Development
DOWNLOAD WEEKLY DATA PDF HERE >
COVID-19 questions or concerns? Connect with us directly using Engage Brookings. Visit the website (www.EngageBrookings.com) or download the app on your mobile device.
The City of Brookings has compiled safety information and helpful resources to help you navigate these challenging times.