An Ordinance amending Chapter 94, Article VI, Division 4, Sec. 94-432 for the purposes of amending the minimum required parking spaces.
Be It Ordained by the Governing Body of the City of Brookings, South Dakota that the Subdivision Regulations be amended as follows:
ARTICLE IV. – DISTRICT REGULATIONS
That the following sections of Article VI, Division 4 of the Zoning Regulations shall be amended to read as follows:
Sec. 94-433. Off-street parking requirements.
(a) In all districts, in connection with every residential, commercial, industrial or any other use, off-street parking shall be provided and maintained in the manner set forth in this section. For any new building constructed, any new establishment, any addition or enlargement of an existing building or use, any change in the occupancy type as defined in this chapter and any change in the manner in which a use is conducted, there shall be sufficient off-street parking as required by this section. Whenever applicable, the following equivalent shall be used: one seat = two feet of lineal bench seating capacity. Parking space dimensions and parking lot layout and design shall conform to the requirements of this chapter and/or generally accepted architectural standards and guidelines from the American Institute of Architects.
(b) B-1 Central Business District. All uses within the area defined as the B-1 Central Business District as designated on the official zoning map shall not be required to provide off-street parking. Exception: For any building or use that would be required to have in excess of 75 parking spaces based on the requirements of this subsection (b), the additional off-street parking spaces shall be provided within 300 feet of the building or use.
(c) All other zoning districts.
(1) Single-family dwelling or townhouse: Two spaces for each dwelling unit. Each garage stall shall be considered one parking space.
(a) Two-family dwelling: One space for each bedroom. Each garage stall shall be considered one parking space.
(2) Apartment building or unit group of buildings: One space for each bedroom plus ten (10%) percent of the total dwelling units, exclusive of garages.
Exception. An attached garage that is an integral part of the dwelling unit shall be counted for purposes of meeting the parking requirements.
(a) Condominium: Two spaces for each dwelling unit plus one space for each bedroom in excess of two bedrooms in each dwelling unit, exclusive of garages.
1. Exception: Each parking space within an attached garage that is an integral part of the dwelling unit shall be counted for purposes of the parking requirements.
(4) Apartments for the elderly or congregate care facility. One space for each unit.
(5) Retirement home, nursing home, assisted living facility or similar institution where no rooms or units are independent or self-contained. One space for each three units.
(6) Hospital. One space for each three beds plus one space for each employee on maximum working shift plus one space for each service vehicle.
(7) Boardinghouse, fraternity or sorority. One space for each occupant.
(8) Church. One space for each five seats in the main seating area.
(9) Funeral home. Five spaces or one space for each four seats in the chapel, whichever is greater.
(10) Major home occupation. Two spaces.
(11) Retail, general merchandise, discount store, gas dispensing station, supermarket, personal service store, personal health service (excluding health clubs), medical clinic, coffee house: One space for each 200 square feet of gross floor area for the first 5,000 square feet and one space for each 600 square feet thereafter.
(12) Telemarketing operations, private clubs, health clubs and similar indoor recreational facilities and amusement establishments. One space for each 200 square feet of gross floor area (see stacking).
(a)Eating and drinking establishment: One space for each 200 square feet of gross floor area.
(b)Indoor water park: One space for each 250 square feet of gross floor area.
(13) Campground. One space/campsite plus accommodations for over-sized vehicles.
(14) Business and professional offices, banks or dental clinic. One space for each 500 square feet of gross floor area (see stacking).
(15) Auditorium, auction house, convention center, theater or other places of public assembly. One space for each four seats and/or one space for every 50 square feet of floor area without fixed seating.
(16) Airport. One space for each four seats in waiting area plus one for each five aircraft storage areas plus two spaces for each three employees on largest shift.
(17) Hotel or motel. Five spaces plus one space for each sleeping room or suite.
(a) Hotel, extended stay: One space for each suite or unit and one for each employee.
(18) Bed and breakfast. One space for each guest room plus two for the proprietor.
(19) Industrial and/or manufacturing, assembling, processing, warehousing and similar uses. One space for each two employees on the maximum working shift, plus space to accommodate all trucks and other vehicles used in connection therewith.
(20) Animal hospital, kennel. Five spaces plus one for each employee.
(21) Community center, or similar public or semi-public building. Ten spaces plus one additional space for each 300 square feet of gross floor area in excess of 2,000 square feet.
(22) Library. One space for every 500 square feet of gross floor area.
(23) Museum, art gallery. Six spaces plus one additional space for each 400 square feet of gross floor area in excess of 2,000 square feet.
(24) Automatic car wash. One space for each employee, together with compliance with the requirements of section 94-434 (stacking).
(25) Self-serve car wash. (See stacking).
(26) Bowling alley. Four spaces for each lane.
(27) Athletic field/facility. Twenty spaces for each field or one for each four seats, whichever is greater.
(28) Day care facility. Two spaces plus one space for each care provider (see stacking).
(29) Motor vehicle repair shop, auto sales or similar use. Two spaces for each service bay plus one space for each employee.
(30) Auto parts store, furniture store, household appliance store, flooring/carpet store, plumbing store, building supply store, service store. One space for every 600 square feet of gross floor area.
(31) Fire station. Five spaces plus one space for each front line apparatus.
(a) High school: One parking space for each three students based on the building's design capacity plus one space for each teacher or staff person.
(b) Junior high school: One space for each 12 students based on the building's design capacity plus one space for each teacher and staff person.
(c) Elementary school: Five spaces plus one for each teacher and staff person based on the building's design capacity.
(33) The parking space requirement for a use not specifically mentioned herein
shall be the same as required for a use of a similar nature.
All ordinances and parts of ordinances in conflict herewith are hereby repealed.
First Reading: February 14, 2023
Second Reading: February 28, 2023
Published: March 3, 2023
CITY OF BROOKINGS, SD
Oepke “Ope” Niemeyer, Mayor
Bonnie Foster, City Clerk