The City of Brookings annual spring cleanup for city residents. This program allows the residents to place their rubbish, debris and branches in front of their home during a designated time period. This program is for anyone residing within the city limits. Commercial haulers and businesses do not have free access to dumping. The City of Brookings then pools the Street Department, Park and Forestry, Solid Waste Collection and Landfill Departments together to clean up the material set on the boulevards. The city will canvass the town one time only. All items must be placed on the boulevard. There is no alley pickup. Please make sure everything is on the boulevard to help reduce any damage from the use of heavy equipment.
Monday, April 7th is the first day that residents can start placing items on the curb. All items must be out by Sunday, April 13th. The city will be canvassing the town one time only. The city crews will start the curbside pickup on Monday, April 14th. The Landfill will be open Monday thru Friday from 7:30am to 4:15pm April 7th thru April 25th. Special Saturday hours will be from 8:00am to 4:00pm on April 12th and 19th. The last day of free dumping at the Landfill will be Saturday, April 26th from 8:00am to 12:00pm. Brookings residents are encouraged to take advantage of the free dumping by hauling as much of their smaller items to the Landfill as possible. This will allow city crews to focus on faster removal of the remaining large items.
The City of Brookings Landfill regulations and recycling policies require more sorting of items placed on the curb. Your cooperation is critical to continue this project.
Below is a list of items that will not be picked up from the curb:
• Household refuse - place in green cart
• Cardboard - place in recycling cart
• Mixed piles will not be picked up
• Grass/leaves – haul to Landfill for free
• Remodeling material/concrete
• Paint - drop off at paint exchange
• Batteries/waste oil/chemicals
Items that must be hauled to the Landfill for a fee:
• Tires, fee based on size of tire
• Refrigerators/freezers/AC, $12 each plus sales tax
Tree Branch pickup
Please place branches lengthwise on the boulevard (in the same direction with the gutter line). The City of Brookings will begin to pick up branches on Monday, April 14th. Please remember that tree trunks and branches should not be more than 12 inches in diameter and 12 feet long. They must be placed on the curb. The City of Brookings will not enter residential property to pick them up.
Schedule for curbside pickup
Please listen to the radio to find out which section of town the City is picking up. All guidelines must be followed or your material will not be picked up.
• SECTION 1: Railroad tracks to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to 16th Avenue
• SECTION 2: Front Street to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to Western Avenue
• SECTION 3: 6th Street to 11th Street and from Medary Avenue to Western Avenue
• SECTION 4: 6th Street to 8th Street east of Medary Avenue
• SECTION 5: Railroad Tracks to 6th Street from 16th Avenue to 22nd Avenue
• SECTION 6: South of Railroad Tracks from Medary Avenue South to 22nd Avenue South
• SECTION 7: Railroad Tracks south to City limits from Medary Avenue South to City Limits
Paint Exchange Program
The Annual Paint Exchange program will be held on Saturday, April 12th, 2014 at the Brookings Regional Landfill. Citizens can bring in latex paint from 9:00am to 12:00pm to be recycled. Then from 1:00pm to 4:00pm the paint will be available to the general public free of charge.
If you have any questions, please call the Solid Waste Department at (605) 693-3667.